The Best Podcasts to Binge in Holiday Traffic
Being stuck in
Most of the
- The Adventure Zone : Loosely based on role-playing games like Dungeons and Dragons. From magical wars to quests for relics, the story arc will keep you engaged through hours of traffic.
- Dirty John : If you're looking for a true crime fix, this podcast will hit the spot and is based on interviews with many of the characters central to the story. Learn how Debra Newell fell victim to prolific con man John Meehan, and how her life changed with him in it.
- Homecoming : A fictional storyline that will give you thrills. If you haven't checked out this podcast yet, it's perfect to help you (almost) forget you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic as you follow a caseworker's relationship with a new patient and navigating the facility and her boss.
- Millennial : Megan Tan shares her story of navigating from college graduation into adult life. While relatable to many in their 20s, the show does tend to focus on Tan's experience, including interviews with her friends and family members.
- My brother, my brother, and me : As the name suggests, three brothers give advice to questions and queries sent in to the show or found on Yahoo! Answers. The answers are targeted more for comedic value than seriously answering the question. If you're looking for some laughs, this podcast delivers.
- Myths & Legends : Covers all sorts of mythology and legends, such as Thor, The Epic of Gilgamesh, Sinbad, and Cinderella (the Chinese version), from many different countries and cultures. Great for binge listening, as many myths are split across multiple episodes to give you a fuller story and dive into the details.
- Oh No Ross & Carrie : Co-hosts Ross and Carrie investigate fringe science, spirituality, and the paranormal. Follow along as they give some of these edgy ideas a try (like holotropic breathework) and talk to people who hold these beliefs (such as believing the earth is flat). This show often has topics that are covered in multiple episodes, giving you tons to listen to.
- The Upgrade : Of course, we couldn't leave our very own podcast off the list! Turn your holiday traffic jam into a time to learn something new and productive.
- Where should we begin? : Explores some of the most intimate and common issues we face in relationships, from the angle of anonymous couples in well known psychotherapist Esther Perel's office. Probably not one to listen to with the kids in the car, but could be an interesting listen for a long-term couple. Perel is known for her work exploring the balance between the need for security and freedom in our relationships.
Within the Wires
: The first season is presented as a meditation guide but is actually a dystopian thriller. From one of the co-creators of Welcome to Nightvale, this podcast draws you in as the listener of the meditation guide and you become part of the story
Do you have a go-to podcast you'll be queuing up for holiday travel? Let us know in the comments.