Some Easy Ways to Manage PCOS, From A Diet Coach
You can improve hormonal balance and lose weight by focusing on a healthy
Here are some practical ways to manage PCOS-
- Make prebiotic like garlic and probiotics like yogurt a regular part of your meal plan. They help to reduce chronic inflammation in the gut.
- Fish oil ( a rich source of omega 3) , besides being a mood booster, helps to manage PCOS symptoms better.
-PCOS increases the risk of
- Have cumin infused water first thing in the morning for
-Adding a daily dose of ACV ( apple cider vinegar) to your diet could boost your system by ridding the blood of excess sugars.
- One cannot undermine the role of low GI foods. Replacing high GI carbs like white bread, potato, sugars and white rice with whole grain bread, lentils, beans and quinoa leads to better insulin sensitivity.
-PCOS women need to stop microwaving food in plastic containers and drinking water from plastic bottles which are not BPO free. They release Xenohormones which have estrogenic effect on body.
-Minimize the use of scented cleaning agents for hair, body and household. Avoid parabens in skin care. They contain toxic chemicals which affect the endocrine system. Use natural and safe detergents.
- Try these every day foods- fenugreek, flaxseeds, cinnamon, tulsi, honey, bitter gourd and amla.
- The yoga way to treat PCOS is to regularly practise the "Butterfly pose" which can be done sitting or lying down (with cushion support). Try holding the posture for long rather than flapping legs too much.
- Drinking tea ( hot or cold) controls symptoms . According to latest research spearmint tea has anti-androgen effect on PCOS women.
Losing weight with PCOS can be hard but not impossible. Stay motivated. By correcting your lifestyle and following a few precautions the battle against PCOS can be won.
(Image Credit: Thinkstock)
( About the author : This article is contributed by Sapna Puri, a Delhi based Diet Coach)