Six Warning Signs to Look for During a Job Interview
It's easy to forget that
Besides generally seeing if the company and culture meshes with you , you should keep an eye out for these signs that the company might not be a good fit.
- Turnover Rate : If there's a high turnover rate, it can mean the work environment is tough, benefits are poor, or there's lack of good management. If everyone you talk to during your interview has been at the company for a year or less, take that as a sign you could be getting into something bad.
- How Current Employees Feel and Act : If the employees you talk to during your interview don't have positive things to say about the company or their manager that's a huge red flag. Since you can't count on employees to always be honest about how they feel, watch their body language, and the body language of those you see around the office.
- Overuse of Jargon : If your interviewers use too many buzzwords, fancy phrasing, and jargon to try to make the company, team, or role sound impressive, they may be trying to cover up something, or worse, just not be people you want to work with.
- Overselling : While trying to sell to a stellar candidate isn't unusual, if you get the feeling the interviewers are trying to oversell the position or role, probe deeper to find out what they're hiding. Even great companies or roles have challenges that'll come up and that can be shared during an interview.
Lack of Clear
CareerDevelopmen t: The hiring manager for the role should be able to speak to the career growth options available. If they can't give you an idea of what your path would be within the team or company, that might be a sign you won't get much career development should you accept an offer.
- Asking for Money : You're more likely to run into this with small companies or startups, but if a potential employer asks you for money, even for things like background checks or training right out of the gate in a setting like an interview, be wary.
While you can't learn everything just from an interview, by looking for warning signs in these areas you can at least spot if a company will be a toxic place to work .
Signs You Should Not Accept That Job Offer | Mental Floss
Image from pkhamre .